When you hear the word cake, what picture comes to your mind? We bet, it’s a chocolate cake or cake in any other favourite flavours of yours, like strawberry, vanilla, butterscotch, and all those delectable varieties you could think of. But, what if we tell you that you can eat a cake baked with parsley or a chocolate cake with an unusual ingredient of potato? Unusual cakes are a reality and people seem to love it for all the various reasons.
When bored of the regular why not try something unusual? Either order cake in Delhi or wherever you live or bake at home by browsing the recipe of these unusual cakes.
1) Dark Molasses Gingerbread Cake: A good alternative for people who don’t like chocolates, a dark molasses gingerbread cake. The dark, bittersweetness of molasses make this cake damp, rich, fudgy; just the way gingerbread should be. And, do not forget the sour notes which do all the magic. The creamy frosting balances the darkness and bittersweetness of the cake.
2) Spiced Dulce De Leche Banana Icebox Cake: An upgraded version of the usual icebox cake. This one is baked with Dulce De Leche, a confection from Latin America whipped into cream and layers of banana. When in the mood for some fancy weekend celebrations, think of Spiced Dulce De Leche Banana Icebox cake.
3) Sufganiyot (Jelly Donut) Cake: For the love of cake, donuts, and jelly; here is a jelly donut cake! The cake has a donut-like inside with a barely crunchy outer layer and jelly filling inside.
4) Carrot Cake with Cardamom: Carrot cakes are common. What’s rare is a carrot cake with cardamom. Along with the carrots yogurt is added for moisture and cardamom is for the shine. If you are more on the sweeter side, you can glaze the cake with a frosting added with sugar.
5) Roberta’s Parsley Cake: Parsley in soups, vegetables, sauces taste great. We didn’t know it tasted out of the world in desserts until we tried Roberta’s Parsley Cake. Because of the light scent and fresh taste of the Parsley, the cake tasted delicious. So, what’s stopping you from trying the parsley dessert combination?
6) Tomato Soup Cake: Whenever the talk is about unusual cake ingredients, this cake has to be mentioned. It’s quite popular among the cake lovers. It’s just a cake with a can of tomato soup in it. If you still haven’t tried it, we bet you do because it tastes like anything but tomato soup. Also, if you are willing to try this at home, the recipe is not complicated.
7) Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake: When it’s about cakes, chocolate cake is a must. But, a chocolate cake with a mashed potato to add moistness that usual chocolate cake tends to lack. Potatoes add wonderful structure to the cakes. The bonus being no one will come to know until you tell them that it contains potato.
8) Grape, Almond, and Olive Cake: Last-minute baking calls for this cake recipe– grape, almond, and olive cake. It is an easy recipe which can be baked in minutes, is healthy because of the ingredients of almonds, grapes and olive and tastes like a sweet cake.
9) Gingerbread Beer Bundt Cake With Chocolate Glaze: The unusual ingredients in the cake, like beer, mustard, and sorghum make this a nuanced chocolate cake that you must have ever tasted in your life. Do not forget the chocolate glaze that makes it oh! So tasty unusual cake.
10) Nigel Slater’s Extremely Moist Chocolate Beet Cake: Outside the world of red velvet, exist this chocolate beet cake. The deep pink earthiness of the beet is swee suited for the bittersweet chocolate ingredient in the cake. Additionally, beets are also an inexpensive alternative to make the cake moist and you don’t need a red food colouring used in red velvets.
11) Nutella Crepe Cake: Name a better dessert combination than cake and nutella, it’s crepe cake and nutella. Bake your favourite crepe cake and layer it with nutella. If not nutella, then jam or any other spread will do.
Which one are you planning to order or bake?