About Auspicious Alshaya Tritiya
Among the many festivals celebrated in India, Akshaya Tritiya is considered an equally auspicious day but significantly the best for new beginnings such as starting new ventures, construction work, wedding plans, buying gold, making donations, etc. It is celebrated all over India by the Hindus and Jain community. The term ‘Akshaya’ is a Sanskrit word that means never decreasing/unending prosperity and Tritiya means the third day of the Lunar Cycle. Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on the 3rd day of Shukla Paksha (Waxing Moon phase) of the Vaishaka month, as per the Hindu calendar, roughly falling in April-May. Akshaya Tritiya is also called Akti or Akha Teej, in Gujarat and Rajasthan. Akshaya Tritiya is a day that gives permanent gains, viz. material, physical or spiritual.
Akshaya Tritiya is a day when Lord Vishnu, Goddess Lakshmi, and Lord Kubera are reverently worshipped to usher in prosperity, wealth, good health, luxuries, and abundance. Lord Vishnu is the prime Deity to be worshipped on this day. The day is considered lucky and brings a benevolent and fruitful outcome, it is believed to be a day of Sarvasiddhi Muhurat, which means every moment of this day is auspicious, there is no unfavorable time on this day. So any new venture, work, business, job started on this day will be successful, prosperous, and bring unlimited Divine grace. It is a day when doing good deeds will give back many folds.
The Vedas encourage us to indulge in spiritual practices like Japas (chanting), spending time in meditation, reading holy scriptures, worshipping one’s Ishta Devata and other Gods on Akshaya Tritiya. Donating money, food items like ghee, vegetables, fruits, rice, sugar, salt, and clothes on this day is considered a pious activity with significant meaning.
Significance of Buying Gold on Akshaya Tritiya
Buying gold on Akshaya Tritiya is a tradition coming down the ages. Gold is bought in the form of jewelry, gold coins, and other such gold items. It is believed the doors to prosperity, wealth opens up when gold is bought on this golden day. It draws good luck. Buying Gold on Akshaya Tritiya also has a mythological implication. Kubera was appointed as the treasurer of Heaven and was put in charge of heavenly wealth and treasures on this day. As Kubera was a Rakshasha, on this auspicious day He has also conferred an elevation to Lordship, He became Lord Kubera. Lord Kubera is Lord of wealth, luxuries, material comforts, and fulfillment. Buying Gold on Akshaya Tritiya pleases Lord Kubera, and He blesses with more of that.
Gold represents prosperity in its highest form, so to invite everlasting prosperity, wealth, and abundance, the tradition of buying gold on Akshaya Tritiya is prevalent.
Other than gold there are other symbols of prosperity too which are bought like diamond, silver, gemstones and household goods made of steel is also part of the tradition of Akshaya Tritiya celebrations.
Buying a new vehicle, land, house, inaugurating a new office/shop, etc. is common practice on this day because of the benevolent energies of Akshaya Tritiya.
Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi
On the day of Akshaya Tritiya, worshipping Lord Vishnu is of prime importance. Goddess Maha Lakshmi is the consort of Lord Vishnu, revered by devotees. Lord Kubera blesses you with wealth, luxuries, protects your accumulated wealth, and showers His blessings.
The Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi is followed sincerely at homes. It is common for housewives to keep a fast on the day to usher in the benefits to the family.
On the day of Akshaya Tritiya, in the early hours of the morning, after bathing take the Sankalpa of fasting, if you are keeping a fast. As every Muhurat of the day is auspicious, the Akshaya Tritiya Puja can be performed at any time.
- Install the Idols of Lord Vishnu, Goddess Lakshmi, and Lord Kubera on a raised platform, or Alter for the Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi. The framed photos of these Deities are also worshipped if you do not have idols. Generally, Gaja Lakshmi’s image is worshipped, however, photo Goddess Lakshmi is the requirement, so it can be any
- Yellow is the color that pleases Lord Vishnu. Cover the Alter with a clean, preferably new, Yellow altar cloth. You can also place your Lord Vishnu Yantras, Mahalaxmi Yantra, Kuber Yantra on the Puja altar
- Gold ornaments, coins bought on Akshaya Tritiya should also be placed on the altar to receive the blessings of Lord Vishnu, Maa Lakshmi, and Lord Kubera
- Offer akshat (rice) to the Divine Deities
- Light ghee lamp. Invoke Lord Ganesha first and worship Him first to commence the puja
- Sprinkle Gangajal on the Deity photos or perform Abhishekham of the idols of Lord Vishnu and goddess Lakshmi with cow milk, honey, curd, sugar, ghee, and water mixture
- Offer Sandalwood paste, tulsi leaves, yellow flowers to Lord Vishnu. Goddess Lakshmi is appeased by red lotus, so offer lotus to Her. light incense and burn camphor
- Offer naivedyam or prasad of sweets, fruits, food to all Deities. Naivedyam should comprise chana dal, barley, wheat, sesame seeds, and sweets made of milk
- Follow the vidhi (ritualistic process) of worshipping Lord Vishnu, Maa Lakshmi, and Lord Kubera. Chant Vishnu Mantras
- Chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama is said to be very rewarding for the devotees. Other Lord Vishnu Mantras, Goddess Lakshmi, and Lord Kuber Mantras should be chanted all through the Puja as it is a part of the Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi
- Perform aarti by reciting or singing the “Om Jai Jagadish” hymn
- Pray with a pure intention for your wishes of good health, prosperity, wealth, abundance, and supplicate before the Divine Deities
- Offer the Prasad to everyone
Post the puja donate to the needy and brahmins as per the Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi.